The First Porcelain Church
NEW on the exhibition tour!
He once used to be a staff member of the well-renowned Poland born American star-architect Daniel Libeskind and is today a very popular artist himself: Michael J. Brown (Design NAU2), who is active in Zurich, Berlin and Los Angeles within the contradictory contexts of architecture and exhibition design, and who has now turned the old chapel of Castle Leuchtenburg into the first Porcelain Church.
The Porcelain Church is equipped with a strip curtain made of technical white frosted porcelain that reaches from the ceiling to the floor creating a very sensational spatial effect. On 8th October the church was solemnly consecrated within an ecumenical service. The art direction as well as the selection of quality materials onsite have been put into practice by the General Manager of the Foundation Sven-Erik Hitzer himself. The Saxonian businessman used to study at the University of Art Burg Giebichenstein in Halle.
In the last century, the sacred buildings were used mainly as a museum. Up until the dissolution of the hard labour prison on Castle Leuchtenburg in the year 1871, this House of the Lord was mainly a prison church. From Monday to Sunday, chants, prayers and worship were implemented in the daily life of the inmates. In the preserved lists of the pastors at the Castle, almost 5,200 names of inmates can be found with details of their birth places, reasons for sentence and other particulars.
The chapel is meant to be a place for holy services, baptism services, weddings as well as a room for relaxation. Ecumenical services are held here regularly.